Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day 3: Deborah Lippmann Across the Universe

This is hands down my favorite polish from 2010. Is this not the most beautiful polish ever? It’s like a festival of awesomeness on my fingers. Yes, I am a nearly 37-year-old mother of three who loves glitter nail polish. Go ahead and judge.

I bought Across the Universe last summer as a reward for finishing a particularly nasty article for work. Best. Reward. EVER. I wore it for six days straight, which is unheard of for me.


Across the Universe is a navy blue jelly base with large blue and green hex sequins and smaller blue glitter. The jelly base gives it incredible depth and makes it look like there are lighter and darker shades of glitter. The colors vary a lot in my photos, but the indoor and shade photos are the most color-accurate.



Indoors - fluorescent

Shade
Sun

Sun

I used three coats, plus my usual top coat combo for hungry glitters: a thick coat of Gelous topped with Seche Vite. Application is a little trickier than usual but not bad at all. The large glitter sequins have a tendency to drag, so you need to allow a little more drying time between coats. Also, make sure to wrap the tips well. Like all jellies, this one shows tip wear pretty quickly.

Lippmanns fall somewhere between mid-range and high-end on the price spectrum. They retail for $16 – higher than most salon brands, but not as much as Chanel or Dior. Like many of the polishes in this line, Across the Universe was released as a Nordstrom exclusive but was later added to the Lippmann core collection and is now widely available.

The thought of taking this off tonight makes me sad. I may have to break my no-repeat rule for this one.

I just realized – I only have one bottle of this. How is it possible that I haven’t gotten a backup yet? I must take care of that immediately.

Matte

EDIT: I had to try this before I took it off. There’s been talk on the Nail Board that “mattifying” glitter polishes can make them look like a completely different polish. I used one coat of ManGlaze Matte-Astrophe. Veerrrry interesting. I like it but don’t love it. I prefer my universe shiny.

(P.S.: Remember what I said about tip wear? I wasn’t kidding, huh?)

No comments:

Post a Comment